Saturday, January 24, 2015

Top Knot Tutorial


Happy Saturday! Today I decided to attempt a top knot! I posted a picture on Instagram and was asked how I got my hair to look like this. I decided that it was a good time for a tutorial. I have pretty thick hair and it's a little longer than shoulder length. I used a sock to achieve the volume in the bun that I wanted. 

First step is to put your hair in a ponytail on the top of your head. 

Stand it straight up.

Take a sock and cut the toe part off and roll it up so it looks like a donut. Slip this onto your ponytail but leave it close to the ponytail tip.  

Part the ponytail in half and tuck the tips under the sock. (You can see my thumb tucking one half under the sock above). 


You can see that both halves are tucked under (there are still some stray pieces which will tuck under as you roll it to your head). 

Use your thumbs and fingers like I am above and start rolling. 

Tuck as you roll so that the bun tightens. 

Eventually the hair will start to look neat. At this point you need to spread the hair around the sock so that no white is visible. With the next roll I'll be sure to push the hair forward to cover the front of the sock. You want to concentrate on covering the back of the sock first so that way you can adjust the front as needed. It's hard adjusting the back of your hair without two mirrors. 

And there you have it! You've successfully made a top knot! 
I've seen many different ways to put in a sock bun but this is the easiest way to me. 
Let me know what you think! 

Ciao for now! 

Jaclyn 

3 comments:

  1. Wow--that turned out really well! I have a foam donut (dark hair)...I'll have to try the two halves / thumbs thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its by far the easiest way to use the foam donut / sock! Hope it works for you!

      Delete
  2. Love this! I end up with a bun almost everyday!

    ReplyDelete