Monday, January 19, 2015

My Favorite Salad


Boots: Macy's [similar]

During our trip out west, Jordan and I stopped in Scottsdale, Arizona. The night before stopping in Scottsdale, we stayed in El Paso (I hope to never go back). I'm not sure if Scottsdale was ACTUALLY as wonderful as I remember, or if El Paso was so horrible that I remember Scottsdale being better than it was. Whatever the reason, we fell in love with Scottsdale. 

We were hungry by the time we got into town so we stopped for dinner at Cowboy Ciao. Jordan ordered mushroom stew and I decided I wanted a salad. I usually like chopped salads and there was on one the menu, so I ordered it. The description read as follows: 
Stetson Chopped Salad: "I loved that chopped salad so much that I put it on my screensaver!" - Actual Guest Quote

This is what the salad looked like: 

It was amazing. So amazing that I found the recipe online and made it at home. It wasn't quite as good as the in restaurant experience but it satisfied my taste buds just fine. 

Here is the recipe: 

Ingredients
SALAD INGREDIENTS:
  • 1/2 cup (2 oz) Israeli (pearl) couscous, cooked
  • 1/2 cup (2 oz) Roma tomatoes, diced
  • 1/2 cup (1 oz) super-sweet dried corn
  • 1/2 cup (2oz) arugula, chopped
  • 2 ounces smoked salmon, diced
  • 1/2 oz asiago cheese, crumbled **
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 oz) toasted pepitas **
  • 1/4 cup dried black currants**
PESTO DRESSING INGREDIENTS:
  • 1/2 cup basil pesto
  • 1 cup aioli (Note: If you cannot find commercially prepared aioli and don`t want to make your own, you can substitute mayonnaise, or use 1 cup olive oil, drizzled in very slowly with motor running so the mixture emulsifies. It should thicken further with refrigeration.
  • 1 shallot, roughly chopped
  • Salt to taste 

Directions
SALAD INSTRUCTIONS:
  • 1
    In a shallow bowl, assemble the salad ingredients in rows. Start with tomatoes or arugula at one end; push previous row back with one hand as you place and line up the next ingredient with the other hand.
  • 2
    **Combine these ingredients beforehand and use as one row. All are available at Trader Joe’s. 
PESTO DRESSING INSTRUCTIONS:
Add first three ingredients to food processor and blend thoroughly. With motor running, pour in buttermilk. Add remaining ingredients to combine. If using prepared pesto, taste before adding additional salt. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.


 
Shirt: Old Navy [exact]
Shorts: Nordstrom [similar]
Boots:Macy's [similar]
Purse: Longchamp [exact]

This was taken at the resort at the bottom of Camelback Mountain. 

We will definitely be making a return trip to Scottsdale, even if for no reason other than to order the Stetson Salad!

Ciao for now!

Jaclyn 

No comments:

Post a Comment