Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Seasonal Seven: Christmas Edition

Tis the season to be jolly! I hope this list of my seven favorite ways to celebrate Christmas makes your season merry and bright! 

1. Make a new seasonal recipe and watch Christmas Movies or TV specials. 

I love themed activities. Even if it's just a date night or a night in by myself, I like to pick a theme and plan my night around it. Trying new recipes can be exciting and terrifying at the same time. I always try to pick simple recipes from Pinterest that have very few ingredients. And if you aren't great at cooking or baking, then keep some break'n'bake cookies and a bottle of wine in the pantry for back-up. After you make your new Christmas/ winter recipe, I suggest curling up on the couch and watching something Christmassy OnDemand. Most TV shows have Christmas Specials available. Two of my favorite shows are Modern Family and The Mindy Project. They have great Christmas Specials! Or just watch a free Lifetime movie. 

Here are some recipe suggestions which I found on Pinterest: 

Nutella Hot Chocolate: 
http://www.thehungryhousewife.com/2010/12/nutella-hot-chocolate.html

Oreo snow men pops: 

http://www.redstarrecipe.com/2013/10/oreo-snomen-pops.html


Homemade eggnog: 
http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2013/12/homemade-eggnog.html

2. Pick out a LIVE Christmas tree. 

My FIRst time (see what I did there?) picking out a Fraser Fir was this year with my boyfriend's family. We took the truck to the community church and picked out a beauty. Nothing smells quite like Christmas as much as a freshly cut tree. It was fun watching the guys fit the tree in the door. And I had a blast decorating it with ornaments and lights. 

3. Attend or Throw a Secret Santa Party.

Every year, I attend my mom's Bunko Babe Christmas Party and Secret Santa. Her bunko friends all invite their daughters and we have a night filled with food, friends, and fellowship. The trick to Secret Santa parties is to spend a little bit more (like $5) than the price requirement, that way it encourages people to buy more quality gifts for future years. Occasionally, you will be stuck with something that you don't like but overall it should be a fun experience. 

4. Buy winter or Christmas themed PJs. 

I love PJs. Especially themed ones. These would be good to wear on the night that you make a Christmas recipe and watch Christmas shows. Here are my favorite pjs this season: 

J Crew Factory for $24.50 right now MAJOR STEAL! 


https://factory.jcrew.com/womens-clothing/loungewear/sleep/PRDOVR~52342/52342.jsp?color_name=rock-salt

5. Make a Christmas Playlist. 

Make a playlist for when you go Christmas Light viewing, Christmas shopping, or for when you're locked in your bedroom wrapping Christmas Presents like a mad woman/man on Christmas Eve! My current favorite Christmas playlist is A Merry-Making Playlist by Anthropologie on Rotation. 
My favorite playlists on Spotify are from Anthropologie on Rotation! I love the ambiance of Anthropologie stores and their playlists are a perfect way to experience the cheer outside of their store.  

The playlist can be found here: 
https://open.spotify.com/user/1234072509/playlist/7jHqlDELtCX85kbsMYqSo4

6. Visit another city and enjoy the Christmas spirit with a different local flair.

Even if it's just visiting family or driving to the next town over, visit a new city this holiday season. Towns rarely decorate their entire city unless it's for Christmas. Also, around this time of year, there is no lack of entertainment. Enjoy local events and traditions. Hotels also look amazing around Christmas time and it's a great photo opportunity with your best friends, family, or significant other. A lot of restaurants add seasonal items that are regional and so may not be available where you live. My boyfriend and I traveled to Charleston this past weekend for his cousin's Law School graduation and we enjoyed seeing the town dressed for Christmas. We also enjoyed in the seasonal brunch selections as well as winters oysters from cold water Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia! Yum! 




7. Attend a Christmas Eve Candle Light Service.

I saved the best for last! Go to church with your friends or family. Nothing says Christmas like celebrating the reason for the season. If you don't have a home church then google some local churches until you find a service time that fits your needs and style. I always like attending a service with a bunch of kids because I've found that they're more cheerful. And if you can't make it to a Christmas Eve service (I feel you retail workers) then buy some cheap candles, turn the lights off, read the Christmas story (Luke Chapter 2) and sing along to some Christmas carols.

Christmas Story: 
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%202


Let me know what you are doing to get in the Christmas Spirit or if you tried any of my suggestions. 

Ciao for Now, 

Jaclyn 


No comments:

Post a Comment